Hello, it’s me (again).
Just yesterday, I worked my way through my Top 50 Albums Of 2016. And now, it’s time to set your sights on a visual treat: My Top 20 Music Videos of 2016!
This list was fairly easy, considering we don’t really get that many great music videos anymore. It’s been a dying music accompanying art form for years, but luckily, there’s always a handful of artists who decide to step up their game and rise above the basics of the world. As always, let me know what you think and feel free to comment below with your own list. BESOS!
20. Nick Jonas – “Close (feat. Tove Lo)“. Former Jonas Bro shows off his vulnerable side alongside Swedish Queen Tove Lo in this sexy, emotional, nude undergarment-rocking tug of war romp. It’s a visual treat from start to finish. Did I mention the nude undergarments? Nick Jonas in nude undergarments. Nick Jonas in nude undergarments. Nick Jonas in nude undergarments.
19. Charli XCX – “Vroom Vroom“: Charli channels the ’90’s, puts on lots of latex, and shows us that she too can be a full-fledged pop star in this Bradley & Pablo-directed clip that will forever go down as her most underrated yet. SHAME!
18. Shura – “What’s It Gonna Be?“: Shura, quirky dream-pop maker of songs, takes us back to the ’80’s in this too-cute-for words John Hughes-like mini rom-com – and we’re all better for it.
16. OK Go – “Upside Down & Inside Out“: Just when you think they’ve run out of ideas, they go ahead and launch themselves into zero-gravity territory in yet, deliver another ridiculously amazing video. The least I could do is put them on this list, I guess.
15. Rihanna – “Kiss It Better“: Sometimes, the beauty of a video lies in its simplicity, and that’s just what’s happening here. Also, Rihanna, period.
14. Grimes – “Kill V. Maim“: All of Grimes‘ videos are a killer experience. This one comes packed with references to video games, some Michael Jackson “Bad” video inspiration, hand-drawn cartoons, a bloody night club and much much more! It’s like if Suicide Squad got remixed by Mad Max during a Fashion Week after party where mostly K-Pop stars were in attendance. That make sense to you? Yeah, IDK.
13. Jamie xx – “Gosh“: I honestly couldn’t tell you what’s really happening in this awe-inspiring stunner, but it is truly one of the coolest music videos I have ever seen. BRAVO!
11. Majid Jordan – “Every Step Every Way“: This music video truly captures the very essence of my Toronto-based faves Majid Jordan. Directed by COMMON GOOD, we see the the guys – Majid Al Maskati and Jordan Ullman – performing the sparse track back-to-back, rotating around while florescent backdrops, abstract imagery, and colorful floating animations surround them, playing perfectly to their subtle movements. Sleek, sexy, cool and sophisticated, just like the duo themselves. SWOOOOOON!
10. Fifth Harmony – “Work From Home” (feat. Ty Dolla $ign): Because of this video, no construction zone in New York City was ever safe from a too-gay-to-function mo. The girls brought the eye candy, the choreography and the star power in what will now, unfortunately, go down as their very best music video (as a fivesome) ever. SAD…
9. KAYTRANADA – “LITE SPOTS“: Human makes robot. Robot becomes bestie and learns to dance, steals all hearts in the process. Sobs
8. Fergie – “M.I.L.F. $“: Fergie returned, looking hotter than ever as a proud 41-year-old MOTHA, in this mesmerizing, internet-breaking, dream-like milky whirlwind straight outta Desperate Housewives. Kim Kardashian West, Chrissy Teigen, Ciara, Alessandra Ambrosio, Devon Aoki, Natasha Poly, Amber Valletta and other hot celebrity mamas also star, making it the ultimate wet-dream. Love or hate the song itself, you know you watched this video more than once and absolutely lived…. You motherfucker.
7. Calvin Harris x Rihanna – “This Is What You Came For“: Straying true to Ri‘s minimalist approach this year, this colorful Emil Nava-directed clip follows our Navy Queen as she twirls and gives fierce face to the the camera amid laser light-heavy backdrops that perfectly matched Calvin‘s euphoric production. FACT: Sometimes all a video actually needs is Rihanna being Rihanna.
5. Kanye West – “Fade“: When you go to grab that bacon, egg and cheese bagel tomorrow morning, remember Teyana Taylor. The End.
4. Britney Spears – “Slumber Party” (feat. Tinashe): Following the messy release of her “Make Me…” visual over the summer – which was honestly so very disappointing, “Slumber Party” saw our Queen of Pop make things right again by delivering a properly fantastic pop visual. Truly. Honestly. Seriously though: The Colin Tilley-directed clip is all sorts of everything as we see Britney and Tinashe playing sexual seductresses in a Eyes Wide Shut-like mansion party, packed full with floating bubbles, sexy kitties, and one hot slice of man meat. There’s also lots of choreography, hair whips and some of that faux-lady-love play between the fierce duo, a la Shakira and Rihanna in “Can’t Remember to Forget You.” They did the damn thing, y’all.
3. David Bowie – “Lazurus“: A few days after this video dropped, David Bowie, the icon, sadly passed away. And so this video became so much more than what it originally intended to be…. While I’m still not entirely sure what that is, I’m certainly glad it was made. RIP.
2. Sia – “The Greatest“: Another winning collaboration between Sia and Dance Moms star Maddie Ziegler that doubled as a spectacular and proper tribute to the Pulse shooting victims. Sia did it, and did right. I honestly cried the first time I watched this. Forever a Queen in my heart.
1. Beyonce – “Formation“: This one was a no-brainer.
No one this year came close to touching the masterpiece that is Beyoncé‘s accompanying visual for her sixth studio album Lemonade. It’s hard to just pick one standout clip from the film, but truly, “Formation” started it all. The five-minute piece, a proud homage to being black, opens with Bey on top of a cop car floating in a flooded street post-Hurricane Katrina. She dances in a mansion and in an empty pool, rides out the car window with a long set of braids, and throws up the middle finger for all her “haters”. Her daughter Blue Ivy even makes an adorable cameo – It’s just so very beyond good, even I can’t clock it. SLAY!